Cross-Country: Southern Tier
Tour Operator WomanTours
58 days (Bike: 47 days)
3064 mi (~65mi per day)
58-Day Cross-Country Bike Tour
Are you interested in bicycling cross-country? Coast to coast? Across America? Then here’s your chance for an unforgettable cross-country bike journey from San Diego, California to St. Augustine, Florida. For women only!
We designed this tour with women over 50 in mind, but women of any age are welcome. We will dip our tires into the Pacific Ocean on Friday down the road from our hotel catching the sunrise over the city. Our route takes us on a bike path as we leave the city of San Diego. We then begin the adventure of a lifetime over back roads of the southernmost part of the United States.
Along the way we’ll experience scenic, rural America and small town hospitality. Our van carries your luggage. Dry, warm beds and a hot shower await you every night. No camping for us! Descriptive, "can't get lost" maps by Adventure Cycling and our own detailed cue sheets show you the way.
After 4 days of cycling, we will have our first day off to let our bodies recover from conquering the mountains east of San Diego, and to prepare for more "bumps" ahead. Our miles per day are moderate and we'll feel ourselves getting stronger with every mile.
There will be 9 rest days over the course of the trip. We schedule these at scenic stops where there is an opportunity to explore the area. We strongly believe in giving everyone time to see the natural wonders of our country and to relax to keep our bodies healthy and strong.
We ride from the beach in California, through the saguaro desert of Arizona, over the continental divide in New Mexico and into the wildflowers of Texas. Then it’s on to the bayou of Louisiana, across the Mississippi River, and onto the white sand beaches at Dauphin Island of Alabama. Finally, we celebrate our finish in the nation’s oldest city of St. Augustine, Florida.
- We offer a reasonable price. You’ll find we have the cheapest per day rate for any hotel cross-country bike touring company.
- We include maps by Adventure Cycling along with our own easy-to-read cue sheets and electronic GPS files.
- We carry your luggage, and you, if necessary.
- We offer healthy, home-cooked meals prepared by our traveling chef who understands the “performance food” needed to undertake such a challenge. She'll accommodate food allergies and provide a non-meat protein source for vegetarians, but if you require a vegan or gluten-free diet, there will be a small surcharge.
- We support the tour with two vehicles equipped with supplies, first aid, food and water.
- We limit the group size to approximately 25 plus staff. You’re neither alone nor anonymous. We guarantee you’ll make some lifelong friends along the way.
San Diego, CA
St. Augustine, FL
Guided US$ 13990
March 6, 2024
- All lodging,
- breakfasts, dinners and snacks on riding days,
- SAG stops every 15-20 miles,
- luggage transfers every day,
- detailed maps, cue sheets and GPS files,
- a bike maintenance class, mechanical support,
- state line crossing parties, send-off banquet, celebration dinner,
- airport transfers,
- trained guides.
- Bikes (rentals not available - please bring your own)
Lea A. (Australia)
I recommend this tour for any woman with a sense of adventure, theres plenty of varied terrain and scenery for all tastes and abilities.You are never on your own, as the support car or SAG is always close by with water and food...and if you dont want to ride every mile you can always get a ride to your hotel. 58 days is a long tour but I enjoyed every minute of it! The food was of a high standard, and plenty of it...and the rest days were usually located in an interesting town or city. You will go home with some long lasting friendships and lots of stories!