5 days (Bike: 3 days)
119 km (~40km per day)
Mixed on/off-road, Cycle paths/trails
Locals are always happy to describe the art of winemaking and to talk about the history of the region as you cycle the pretty Riesling Trail and the lesser known Rattler Rail Trail.
The Clare Valley in South Australia is renowned for its acclaimed wines, most notably its rieslings. With over 50 cellar doors, and vineyards whose heritage can be traced back to the 1840s, the secluded Clare Valley is not only famous for its world-class wine, but also its excellent gastronomy. In the towns of Clare, Burra and Auburn you're spoilt for choice with an array of cafes, bars and restaurants. In the saddle and under your own steam, the serenity of pedalling through the Clare Valley's natural splendours is a joy. Take in the stunning bright pink lake, fossilised remains of megafauna, through rolling hills spruced with saltbush and gums. Of course, pulling up at some of the regions most famous and lesser known cellar doors is certainly going to be another highlight of this cycle journey.
- Enjoy the independence of self-guided cycling with all logistics taken care of for you
- Discover charming rural towns and settlements.
- Cycle through the picturesque wine regions of the Clare Valley SA
- Visit the historic Sevenhill Cellars winery with Mary Mackillop connection
This self guided trip involves 3 days of cycling on bitumen and well graded dirt roads as well as along the Riesling Trail and the Rattler Rail Trail with daily ascents of 182m to 447m. Some sections of the daily cycles may have traffic, including trucks. Daily activity is usually between 3 to 5 hours. The trip is graded ‘introductory to moderate’ due to the use of an electric bike.
Self-Guided AU$ 1070
Daily departures from March 1 to December 15, 2023
Tailor your own Customised Tour
- 2 breakfasts - basic continental style
- 4 nights in twin share accommodation - Motel accommodation (2 nights) and federation hotel room with ensuite bathroom (2 nights)
- Electric bike hire with panniers, phone holder and repair kit
- Navigational App and route book with maps
- Luggage transfer Clare to Auburn
- Travel to Clare and from Auburn
- Accommodation before or after the trip in Adelaide
- Items of a personal nature such as alcoholic beverages, car parking, towel etc
- Travel insurance
- Meals not listed as included
- Hybrid bikes can be hired for a small discount
- Return transfer to Adelaide by coach can be booked for a supplement