8 days (Bike: 4 days)
103 mi (~26mi per day)
Saddle Skedaddle on Facebook
An incredible cycling journey through Jordan that takes you from Amman to Wadi Rum via the Dead Sea and Petra
During your time in this mesmerizing country you’ll marvel at its iconic Crusader Castles, be taken back to biblical times with tales of the ‘Promised Land’, spend time learning about Bedouin culture and their traditional hospitality and enjoy some of the tastiest food on the planet.
We have invested significant time in identifying a local team that shares our desire to deliver a high quality, sustainable and spectacular holiday experience. Our guides' passion for the highlights of Jordan is contagious and ensures that your time there will be incredibly rewarding.
The accommodation includes characterful forest lodges, perfectly placed small hotels (close to the major sites) and Bedouin camps where you’ll be able to star gaze to your hearts content. During your time on the bike you’ll enjoy a variety of terrain (none of which is too daunting) from well-packed 4x4 tracks and dirt roads to smooth asphalt. All these have been woven together to provide fun days in the saddle that are interspersed with historic sites and breathtaking views.
After time in the Jordanian capital of Amman, with its stunning ancient Citadel and Roman Amphitheatre, colonnaded streets and temples, our cycling starts at Aljoun. Here amongst its peaceful surroundings we enjoy an afternoon exploring the woodland trails of the Forest Reserve.
From the spiritual site of Mount Nebo with its views across to the ‘Promised Land' our cycling continues across the Madaba Plateau to a superb viewpoint overlooking the Dead Sea before a fun road descent to the earth’s lowest point. Our day ends with time floating in its salty waters where we can also cover ourselves in rejuvenating mud for a do-it-yourself spa treatment. From Karak with its imposing Crusader Castle, the next day is an undulating off-road route via Tanour Dam that ends at Wadi Hasa affording superb views of its impressive castle.
From Shobak our cycling route is one to really savour as we follow the King’s Highway - an ancient route linking Madaba with Petra to Siq Al Barid (Little Petra). Thought to have served as a re-supply post for camel caravans visiting Petra, it’s a great place to wander around at the end the day.
Set amongst huge red rock formations our accommodation is a few pedal strokes away at a Bedouin Camp where in the evening we’ll be treated to a real Bedouin feast cooked the traditional way. Next day we have a fully guided day at one of Modern Seven Wonders of the World - the Red Rose City of Petra. As well as the Treasury and other popular sites we also have time to take in some hidden treasures, such as the monastery which is reached by way of around 800 steps.
- Exploring Petra – The Rose Red City
- Cycling Jordan’s forests, deserts & dramatic canyons
- Desert star gazing in the dramatic Wadi Rum
- Dead Sea dipping and your very own DIY spa treatment
- Bedouin hospitality and feasting on delicious local food
- Crusader Castles & the historic cities of Amman & Jersah
The majority of cycling on this trip is on 4×4 width dirt roads or tarmac roads (with little traffic).
£ 2095 Guided
March 18, November 18, 2023
Private departure to suit your group's specific needs
- Hotel accommodation Twin/double rooms, ensuite – Days 1,3,4 & 6
- Lodge accommodation Twin rooms, ensuite – Day 2
- Bedouin Camp Two person tents with 2 single beds, shared bathroom – Day 5
- Bedouin Camp Two person tents with 2 single beds, ensuite – Day 7
- Meals as itinerary (B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner)
- Water and snacks on cycling and non cycling days
- Full tour service – guides, support vehicle(s) etc.
- Group airport transfer on scheduled arrival and departure days – Amman Airport (AMM)
- Entry to all sites mentioned in the itinerary
- Petra Full Day visit including English speaking guide (Day 6)
- Sunset Jeep Safari Wadi Rum (Day 7)
- Flights and associated costs for travelling with a bike
- Bike rental
- Bar bills/alcoholic drinks, hotel refreshments etc.
- Tips for guides
- Travel insurance
- Personal clothing and equipment
- Airport transfers on days other than the scheduled arrival and departure days
- Bike Hire £125
- E-Bike Hire £695