Austria & Italy
8 days (Bike: 6 days)
225 mi (~38mi per day)
Cycle paths/trails, Hilly, Quiet roads
This cycling holiday in Austria and Italy, is ideal for those wishing to experience the beauty of the Alps in style
At times somewhat challenging, the riding is concentrated along the Via Claudia Augusta, a 2000 year old Roman built road which was for many centuries the main commercial route across the Alps. Originally used for the transportation of wine and olive oil from Spain, oysters from the Mediterranean and even spices from Asia, it now serves as the perfect biking route through an area of stunning views and historic sites.
The journey begins in Austria on the slopes of the mighty Zugspitze (2692m/8832ft) and takes in some of the most beautiful Tyrolean landscapes imaginable. From our first night's stay in Lermoos our journey heads off on a series of rolling forest trails and across undulating countryside trails, before heading upstream alongside the icy waters of the River Inn.
Crossing the border into Italy via the Reschen Pass, the panoramic views open up as we roll gently down into the Vinschgau Valley and South Tyrol. The ride continues via apple plantations, vineyards and historic castles and of course we'll take time during our meals to sample the food and wines for which the region is famous.
As the week draws to a close we'll enter the Etsch valley which leads us straight into the bustling city of Trento, where we can spend an afternoon soaking up the trendy Italian atmosphere in the numerous gelaterias and capuccino bars. We'll save some energy for the last day of riding through the Sarca Valley and onward to our final destination, Lake Garda, a grand finale to our Via Claudia adventure.
- Waking up to beautiful views of the Zugspitze, Germany’s highest peak
- Cycling beside the vivid blue waters of the River Inn
- Absorbing the history of an ancient trade route by bike
- Exploring Merano – The Jewel of South Tyrol
- Winding your way through the lovely Vinschgau Valley
- A post-ride, tasty gelato on the shores of Lake Garda
Designed to retrace the steps of the ancient Roman route across the Alps, most of the Via Claudia follows quiet cycle paths and country lanes. The paths run along Alpine valleys, alongside rivers and apple plantations.
There are three important passes to cross, which will require a bit more effort than the rest of the route. Fernpass, has some off-road forest tracks with moderate climbs.
Guided £ 1995
Self-Guided £ 1180
July 1 & 29, 2023
We can organise a private departure for this tour and tailor aspects to suit your group's specific needs
- Accommodation (shared twin / double en suite rooms) in 3* hotels and guesthouses
- Meals as per the itinerary (B-Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner)
- Full tour service, including Skedaddle guides
- Unless stated, at least one leader qualified in first aid
- Support vehicle and luggage transfers
- Airport transfer on scheduled arrival day from Munich airport (MUC)
- Airport transfer on scheduled departure day to Verona airport (VRN)
- Bike rental (available if required)
- Flights and charges for travelling with your bike (if applicable)
- Travel insurance
- Meals not stated in the itinerary
- Personal clothing and equipment
- Personal expenditure (souvenirs, bar bills, hotel facilities)
- Entrance fees to museums and other attractions en route
- Airport transfers on days other than the scheduled arrival/departure days
- Bike Hire £190.00
- E-Bike Hire £240.00