8 days (Bike: 7 days)
389 km (~56km per day)
Some hills, Quiet roads, On-road
Bike tour through a land of ancient castles, Shinto Shrines and Buddhist monasteries, where traditional culture and etiquette blends effortlessly with contemporary modern design. An island of unimaginable natural beauty, epic coastal rides, verdant river valleys and remote villages.
Shikoku, an island of quiet, winding roads, forested landscapes and dramatic seascapes - where Japanese culture and customs - past and present - coexist in a unique harmony. World-renowned for its 88 temple pilgrimage the island is fast emerging as one of Asia’s most unique and inspiring cycling destinations.
Starting from the Shimanami Kaido, a series of bridges with incredible views over the islands of the Seto Sea, we cycle inland to the bustling town of Matsuyama, a chance to study and sample the craft of Sake making. Though a large island, Shikoku’s efficient and comfortable train system allows us to skip busy sections of road and cycle the very best bits. In the mountain village of Yusuhara, the works of internationally acclaimed architect Kengo Kuma, will inspire you as well as a morning session in the studio of Japan’s preeminent authority on the ancient craft of Washi paper.
Cycling on towards the Pacific coast along some of the most stunning routes imaginable. We’ll traverse thickly forested valleys and over the mountains of the interior, spending two nights in an onsen retreat set on a headland, with dramatic views of the coast while kayaking on sheltered coves and bays. And finally, Kohci, our week-long immersion on Shikoku concludes in Shikoku’s second largest city, exploring its vibrant food scene in open air-markets at the foot of the city’s dramatic hilltop Castle.
This is a ride for those who do not feel the need to tick off boxes on their travels. While we’ll visit several of the historic Pilgrimage sites, the design of the tour offers the opportunity to enjoy some of the very best riding in all of Asia and to see places that have not been altered in any way to cater for tourists. Our Stunning Shikoku cycle tour will leave you with an indelible perspective of Japan, one we are certain you’ll never forget.
- Pedal the world-famous Shimanami Kaido route across the Seto Sea
- Explore sacred temples along Shikoku’s historic 88 temple pilgrimage
- Create traditional washi paper in Yusuhara with world-renowned artist
- Experience Japanese hospitality in small, traditional inns and natural spring retreats
- Enjoy the efficiency of Japan’s train system including the Shinkansen bullet train!
- Savor the taste of Sake from one of Japan’s highly rated producers
Guided US$ 4625
March 9 & 21, April 1 & 8, May 10, & 15, June 3, September 2, 16 & 30, October 14, November 4 & 18, 2024
Any tour can be made private! Request quote
- 7 nights in comfortable accommodation selected for high standards & local flavor
- 7x Breakfasts, 8x Lunches, 7x Dinners
- Healthy snacks & water during cycling
- Knowledgable local guide
- Quality well-serviced bikes and helmet for riding
- Custom country jersey and water bottle that are yours to keep
- Comfortable van for support and transfers
- All tickets and entry costs included in the itinerary
- Pedal assist e-bike $200
- Upgrade to Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra $270
- Deposit payment: $500 USD