Rum Runners Trail
Tour Operator Great Canadian Trails
6 days (Bike: 4 days)
126 km (~32km per day)
Mostly flat, Cycle paths/trails
Great Canadian Trails on Facebook
Nova Scotia’s gorgeous Atlantic coastline and colourful fishing villages have always offered more than just abundant seafood.
During the Prohibition era, smugglers took full advantage of the province’s concealed harbours, secluded coves and rugged islands to funnel alcohol into the United States, shipping and transporting barrels of booze by boat and railway between Halifax and Lunenburg. The illicit Rum Runners Trail of the 1920’s and 30’s exists today as an inspired recreational route, a flat gravel track that appeals to bike enthusiasts of all abilities. Focus on the views, seafood, bridges, lakes and Nova Scotia’s legendary hospitality while we shuttle your luggage ahead each day to handpicked B&B’s and inns located just minutes off the trail. With ample time to explore the region’s highlights by peddle or foot, our flexible self-guided itinerary includes longer detours for cyclists determined to go the extra mile. You’ll also be able to scramble on the rocks beneath the iconic lighthouse of Peggy’s Cove, and stroll the colourful streets of Old Town Lunenburg, one of only two urban communities in North America to be designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Feast guilt-free on lobster and seafood dinners as you work it off on our comfortable bikes, tasting the invigorating sea breeze and chewing on the South Shore’s unforgettable scenery.
- Cycle along a flat sheltered trail through welcoming Atlantic fishing communities
- Discover the many colours of Lunenburg, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Scramble the rocks of Peggy’s Cove, one of Canada’s most iconic sites
- Feast on the region’s famous lobster and seafood
- Picnic and swim off secluded beaches, coves and harbours
- Re-trace the historical footsteps of daring Prohibition rum-runners
Self-Guided C$ 1490
Sundays to Wednesdays from June through mid-October
Customised Tour for groups or families
- 4 breakfasts
- 5 nights B&B's and inns at double occupancy with private facilities
- Transfer to trail on day 1 and back to Halifax day 6
- Sightseeing stops at Peggy's Cove
- Luggage transfer service
- Quality performance hybrid bicycle rental with helmet, lock, bike bag, and basic repair kit
- Navigation APP inclusive of detailed route notes and points of interest (available offline while cycling)
- Emergency hotline
- Travel to and from start/end of the trip
- Optional electric-assist bicycle upgrade (extra cost, limited quantities)
- Additional gear rental is available at an extra cost (panniers, bike trailers, e-bikes, etc). Please inquire.
- Guide (this is a self-guided tour)
- Meals where not specified
- Entrance fees
- Airport pickup
- Unscheduled transfers requested during the trip
- Personal expenses such as laundry and phone calls
- Solo Traveller Supplement CAD$1190
- Airport Transfer (one way) CAD$100
- Electric Bike Supplement (on request, limited availability) CAD$140
There are currently no reviews for this tour.
Write a Review
Sign in to leave a review. Not a member and want to enjoy our great benefits? Join here!